Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday. Feb. 7th

This morning a lot of Buffalo could be seen from my window, about half a mile from the Fort. Some Indians went after them and I witnessed a fair Buffalo hunt before breakfast. This afternoon I went over to the Indian Camp, taking Denny and some medicines along with me. We chatted with the squaws in the tent with some of the sick children, and really had a good deal of fun. I have not an idea of what they said, nor do I suppose they know what Denny + I were talking but the laugh always came in at the right time. We then found the Chief’s lodge + paid him a visit. His name is Crowfoot, he entertained us showed us all his finery, his war dress, bow + arrows, guns + knives, + then began to tell us stories of his achievements. We did not understand a word he said but his gestures were so energetic life like and real that we could not fail to take in all he meant. He showed us some feathers, eagle feathers + described how he saw it floating high in the air, how he hid himself in a hole in the ground, how the eagle came down to catch a fish, how he grasped it by the foot, killed it + took its feathers, then how he was shot on various occasions each time showing us his wound. The afternoon was passed in a very amusing way. A large squaw dance was going on this evening + great must have been the merriment to judge from the sound of the voices. I enjoyed the luxury of a good bath tonight and consequently feel much better. My tooth has not troubled me for two or three days. Good night + pleasant dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment